OPAIR Spotlight: Kyrie DeShong – Project Manager

Feb 26, 2024

Kyrie and pup Leo at Zion National Park.

Tell me about your life outside of OPAIR—what do you like to do in your free time?  

In 2022, my husband and our two dogs moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona. We spend a lot of our free time exploring! We are trying to visit as many state and national parks as possible.

Also, one of my resolutions for this year is to learn to play the piano which has been a lot of fun! Lastly, I try to focus on overall wellness and have been enjoying weightlifting, trying new plant-based recipes, reading, and meditation.

Describe your professional history. What led to you working with Penn State?  

My degree is in nonprofit management, and I started my Penn State career working in the Office of Government and Community Relations and then transitioned to IT consulting before joining OPAIR. I like combining operational and analytical work in support of a mission!

What are some of the aspects of being a Project Manager that you enjoy the most?  

I love processes and planning! I enjoy switching between the big picture and the details to get there. In fact, I just recently achieved my Project Management Professional certification.

Are there any current projects your team is working on that particularly interest you? 

I was very excited to recently wrap up a few big milestones: the upload of our Self-Study and evidence to Middle States, transitioning user ticketing for the IR teams from Jira to ServiceNow, and adding degree completion data to the IDR database/RADAR. I am excited to continue growing RADAR (the Reporting & Data Analytics Resource) as a central point of access for OPAIR institutional reporting & data.

In your opinion, what’s the best part about working for Penn State?  

Supporting the land-grant mission of teaching, research, and service. Given the time of year that I am being asked these questions, I must particularly call out THON for raising a record-breaking 16.9 million for Four Diamonds at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital.